Tuesday, July 31, 2012

DIY: Homemade Tub Cleaner/Mold Remover

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but before yesterday, my bathtub/shower unit was gross. Like super gross. Don't get me wrong, I cleaned it every week with the rest of my house, but apparently I hadn't found a cleaner that would reeeeeally remove all the soap grime, mold remnants and all around grossness. Thanks Pinterest for another "duh, why didn't I think of that" moment and home remedy. All you need are the two products no household pantry should every be without: distilled white vinegar and baking soda.



Fill up an empty spray bottle with vinegar. Don't dilute! Spray down your tub/shower and wait a few minutes so it has time to work it's magic. Meanwhile, go find a good and sturdy scrub brush or two and a box of baking soda. Probably should wear a mask too... the vinegar is a bit potent. Sprinkle pour the baking soda in the tub and start scrubbing. Don't be stingy when it comes to the baking soda... or the vinegar for that matter. Both are super cheap and work wonders together.

Keep scrubbing.

Some more.

Rinse everything down when you think you've got it all done. Realize you don't. Repeat process.

Cleaning my entire tub/shower unit took me almost an hour and a half. So this is not a super quick 5 minute process. I am super excited this worked though! I was getting to the point that I was considering purchasing a whole new unit because I was afraid to take a bath. Plus I didn't want to put my future babes in a dirty tub. A $3.78 baking soda/vinegar fix trumps a $500+ purchase any day!

Shameful.

Making progress...

Victory!

I also had another Pinterest epiphany and am hoping this will prevent me from frequent heaving duty scrubbings. Fill one of those dish scrubber things that hold soap in the handle with a 50/50 mixture of distilled white vinegar and Dawn dish soap. I hung mine off my shower caddy and supposedly if you use it to give your shower a lick and a promise every few times you're in there, you won't need to do anymore/as many heavy duty cleanings.




Go forth, be clean.
Related Posts
Pin It button on image hover