Before today, I had never eaten flaxseed (knowingly). So out of curiosity, I googled the health benefits to find out why this was a necessary ingredient. Turns out flaxseed is pretty good for you... who'da thunk?!
- Great source of fiber and works as a natural laxative
- Contains concentrated amounts of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an omega-3 fat
- Lowers cholesterol
- Great source of magnesium
- Contains high-levels of lignans, which protect against estrogen-dependent cancers (breast cancer)
- An ounce of ground flaxseed per day regulates estrogen levels in post-menopausal women
- Protects post-menopausal women from heart disease
- Decreases insulin resistance and may protect against diabetes
- May prevent or slow the spread of prostate cancer
- May prevent or slow the spread of melanoma
Eat up everyone! They're nummy!
|Healthy AND delicious? High five!|
- 1 C. oatmeal
- 1/2 C. peanut butter (or some other nut butter)
- 1/3 C. honey
- 1 C. coconut flakes
- 1/2 C. ground flaxseed
- 1/2 C. mini chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Mix everything together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Once chilled, roll into balls and enjoy.
Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to one week.