Thanks to a fellow co-worker, I've been pretty hooked on coconut oil lately. I wasn't aware that coconut oil was like the new baking soda... you can use it anywhere and everywhere! Never heard of this lil secret? Well, let me fill you in...
HAIR CARE: Coconut oil is one of the best natural nutrients for hair. Massaging it into the scalp on a regular basis can ensure that your scape is free of dandruff, lice and lice eggs. It makes your locks shiny and is an excellent conditioner to help re-growth of damaged hair. Apply like a hot oil treatment.
SKIN CARE: Using coconut oil as a massage oil for your skin is comparable to that of mineral oil. However, unlike mineral oil, there's no chance of having any adverse side effects to the skin. It is a safe solution for skin dryness and flaking. It also delays wrinkles and sagging skin as well as treats skin conditions like psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema, etc.
I apply generously to my face almost every night before bed. Yes, for a few minutes, your face will be a bit greasy, but it actually soaked it WAAAAY better than anticipated. I have several large scars of my face from having moles removed years and years ago and the oil is actually making them less noticeable!
HEART DISEASE: Coconut oil is not good for the heart... MYTH! It does indeed contain a large quantity of saturated fats, but it also contains about 50% lauric acid, which helps in preventing various heart problems including high cholesterol levels and blood pressure. The saturated fats present in coconut oil are not harmful (like in vegetable oils) and does not lead to increase in LDL levels.
WEIGHT LOSS: Containing short and medium-chain fatty acids, coconut oil aids in taking off excessive weight. It's delicious and easy to digest which helps in healthy functioning of the thyroid and enzymes systems. The oil also increases the body's metabolism by removing stress on the pancreases.
INFECTIONS: It is very effective against a variety of infections by killing bacteria that causes ulcers, throat infections, UTIs, pneumonia, etc. Coconut oil is also effective on fungi and yeast that causes candidiasis, ringworm, athlete's foot, thrush, diaper rash, etc.
TEETH: Calcium is an important element present in teeth. Since coconut oil facilitates absorption of calcium by the body, it helps in getting strong teeth. Coconut oil also stops tooth decay.
PETS: Yes, Fido can also benefit from coconut oil!
- Clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis,and itchy skin
- Reduces allergic reactions and improves skin health
- Makes coats become sleek and glossy, and deodorizes doggy odor
- Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections, including candida
- Disinfects cuts and promotes wound healing
- Applied topically, promotes the healing of cuts, wounds, hot spots, dry skin and hair, bites and stings
- Improves digestion and nutrient absorption
- Aids healing of digestive disorders like inflammatory bowel syndrome and colitis
- Reduces or eliminates bad breath in dogs
- Aids in elimination of hairballs and coughing
- Contains powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal agents that prevent infection and disease
- Regulates and balance insulin and promotes normal thyroid function
- Helps prevent or control diabetes
- Helps reduce weight, increases energy
- Aids in arthritis or ligament problems
I've also read, from just one user's experience, that she saw phenomenal changes such as the decrease of cellulite, stretch marks and it evened out her skin tone. She also claimed it increases lymph movement when used as a deodorant. Hmm... take it for what it's worth I guess. So yeah, however you use it, it probably is beneficial.