I came across this pin on Pinterest about the multiple benefits of drinking lemon water:
- Balances pH - Lemon is an acidic food, but once metabolized, it becomes alkaline. Alkalies help keep the oxygen in our blood at a safe pH level which helps our body heal itself, assimilate nutrients and fight off unwanted sickness. I tend to avoid green vegetables like the plague, so this seems like a more manageable approach for me.
- Keeps skin clear + glowing - Hydration moisturizes our skin from the inside out and lemon also contains lots of Vitamin C, which helps with wrinkles and blemishes. As a 25-year-old with the skin of a prepubescent teenager, I'm already sold.
- Kick starts the digestive system - A big glass of water encourages the liver to produce bile which in turn aids in digestion. It increases urination which helps purify it. It also helps with heartburn and constipation.
- Helps with weight loss - Keeping the body in an alkaline state apparently helps people lose weight baster. Lemons are high in fiber pectin which helps keep one full longer. They also have a diuretic effect which helps with water weight gain.
- Helps kick the caffeine habit - All I can say is, "I sure hope so." I drink a thermos of coffee (roughly 2 cups) every morning at work. I don't necessarily drink it for the pick me up, but more so to hold off needing to eat breakfast until later in the morning. I also use to never drink pop. One can a month... maybe. Now, thanks to Gentex and their free pop, I'm a Diet Coke addict. Crap.
I no nutritionist and I'm pretty naive on the nutritional disadvantages or benefits of most foods. So I have no idea how much of that is true, but I do know that water = good and caffeine = bad. With that said, starting today, December 1, I am giving up coffee and pop for the rest of the month and replacing it with as much water as I can handle.
Will keep you posted on the progress and on any noticeable advantages.